Many effective discipleship approaches exist, but one of the simplest, most rewarding methods is 1-2-1 Discipleship. This method is also called life-on-life or mentoring. Since my college days, I have personally utilized this method as one of the ways I have sought to obey Matthew 28:19. Here are five reasons everyone should consider making disciples 1-2-1:
- 1-2-1 discipleship develops lasting friendships. When two people work together towards spiritual maturity, the Holy Spirit connects their hearts in a way that is difficult to describe.
- 1-2-1 discipleship is flexible in schedule. Since this method involves only two individuals, meeting places and times can be very flexible. Even when traveling, you can utilize your mobile phone and email with this approach.
- Modeling is effective in 1-2-1 discipleship. The good news with this method is that the person being discipled can see your life “up close and personal.” The bad news with this method is that the person being discipled can see your life “up close and personal.” As the discipler, we cannot model perfection, but we can model a Godly, Christian life.
- 1-2-1 discipleship has staying power. Because of the built-in relationship and accoutability factors, this model is very effective over time.
- Almost anyone can disciple 1-2-1. Any Christian who is sincere about his walk with Christ can build into the life of another person.
Give 1-2-1 discipleship a try this year! You’ll find it rewarding and effective. I’ll discuss how to get started in my next entry.