In my post, Top 5 Reasons to Disciple 1-2-1, I talked about several merits of 1-2-1 Discipleship. Here are 5 things to consider as you get started:
- Pray that God will lead you to the person He wants you to disciple. I cannot overemphasize the importance of prayer in this whole process, so focus the process toward prayer from the very beginning. God will match you with the person He wants you to disciple.
- Start by being a friend with that person (man to man, woman to woman). By nature, this method works through relationships. If God leads you to a person with whom you do not have an established relationship, take time to build a friendship before proceeding. Don’t rush this step! For obvious reasons, this method works best man to man or woman to woman.
- Read a book together. One great way to add structure to this approach is by reading a book together. You can choose a book of the Bible or a good Christian book to read and discuss.
- Suggest classes at church. When helpful discipleship classes are offered at church, encourage your friend to attend. Better yet, attend a class or conference together and discuss the material during your 1-2-1 meetings.
- Model Christ to them in real life. Involve your friend in your life and model Christ in your day-to-day living.
Prayer: “God, stir our hearts and help us to get real about your command to make disciples! Lord, teach us that we cannot personally disciple everyone, but we can disciple someone. Lead us to that person and give us the courage to get started for Your glory.”