How can we know when a person is properly assimilated into a church? How does an assimilated person look? How does he act? What does he do? Charles and Win Arn provide the following helpful list called, Nine Marks of an Assimilated Person:
- Identifies with the goals of the church.
- Attends worship regularly.
- Experiences spiritual growth.
- Becomes a member of the body.
- Has 5-10 new friends in the church.
- Has a role or task that matches spiritual giftedness.
- Involved in meaningful fellowship in a small group.
- Regularly tithes to the church.
- Spreads the Good News to friends and family.
As I think back over my years as a pastor, this list matches my experience. The members of the churches where I pastored, who displayed these nines marks, stayed connected to the church. Even those who joined during my tenure, stayed after my departure, because they had been assimilated.