What is the Jesus model? What was Paul saying in 2 Timothy 2:2 (CSB)? Was Paul asking Timothy to talk like him or like Jesus?
What you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, commit to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.
Yes and no. Paul was preaching and pointing others to Jesus. His words and example pointed to the same approach. He encouraged Timothy to teach others to do the same.
Jesus was Paul’s example and should be ours as well. I like how discipleship.org puts this:
Jesus showed us how to live life and how to make disciples.
The Jesus Model
How did Jesus do it? What can we find in His life and disciple-making that should inform our disciple-making? Consider these thoughts:
- set an example and taught before calling the disciples
- prayed all night before calling disciples
- spent time (did life) with the disciples
- taught the disciples, answered questions, responded to life situations and teachable moments (scores of them)
- watched them gain understanding, asked them questions, affirmed and challenged them
- sent them out in pairs to do what He had been doing
- called them together for a report of what they did
- prayed for them
- prepared them for His departure
- sent them out to do what He had been doing (make disciples of all nations).
There are many other actions forming Jesus’ example in disciple-making. In the Great Commission, Jesus told the disciples (told us) to make disciples of all nations baptizing them and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. Look at the list above. That is what He commanded you. Are you teaching your disciples these things? Make disciples!